As we’re nearing the end of 2017 I always spend some time reflecting in the highlights, the disappointments and gather the lessons I’ve learned. And I think it’s in our human nature to ask:
“So was I successful with what I set out to do at the beginning of the year?”
I’ve never been a huge fan of “New Year’s Resolutions”, but during Supernacular Weekend I picked PRESENCE as my theme for 2017. Which kinda felt a little less pressure…
I loved that the word itself has a few different meanings:
- Being in the moment
- Having a powerful presence
- And with that I also wanted to work on my physical health – my posture
Now that the year is over, I asked myself:
Was I successful living, breathing, being PRESENCE?
Before I answer that question, what does SUCCESS mean anyways?
? What is your definition? Let me know in the comments
For me success is when I take uncomfortable action towards my vision that aligns with my values – and failure is an opportunity to learn something new (about myself).
So to check if I took the necessary actions, I create a “Highlight Board” ???
It’s basically like a grateful version of a vision board. Instead of looking online and through magazines for images that describe your vision, I look for actual photos of the big moments of my life this year and then I create a collage.
I am a very visual person so this is the most powerful exercise I’ve done for the last 3 years at the end of every year and here is how to do it ???
- Go through all my instagram posts and look for my highlights
- I do the same for my Facebook photos and sometimes even my posts
- This is usually the easiest way for me to remember what happened, because the chance that I share a post about a highlight in my life is pretty high
- Lastly I also look through my journal for any entries that stand out.
- If I don’t have a picture of a specific highlight – maybe it’s more of an insight I had – then I take a picture of that page in my journal or find something that represents the feeling I had.
- Then I use “keynote” to create a collage of all my highlights.
? Comparing my highlights to my vision ?
After spending time looking at each picture and remembering the feelings I felt, I also love to compare my “highlights board” to my “vision board” because it’s amazing to see when you vision becomes reality.
Last year I added a picture of a couple in a canoe with a dog, by then we ended up with a cat in our home. So it was already close, but then this year we took our cat for a camping trip. Definitely a success 🙂
How do you measure success in your life?
Let me know in the comments