On my vision board I have a picture of a couple in a canoe with their dog, but we didn’t get a dog… this adorable, skinny cat adopted us.
So we started training our cat to join us on a camping trip in Algonquin Park this summer.
Here are a few things I've learned:
- Camping with you cat, is like camping with a baby (at least what I think it would be): You can’t take your eyes off them unless they are sleeping, you have to get up in the middle of the night so they can eat and pee and they are the ones telling you what to do.
- Not every cat is great to take on a camping trip! Every cat has their own personality and you definitely don’t want a “wanderer” that needs to go explore or the opposite: a cat that is scared of everything.
- We trained walking on a leash (compared to walking a dog, the cat walks YOU), going to the park, even found out Gato is ok doing his “business” without litter box.
- Make sure your cat is ok in the car. It was a 3-4 hour ride to get to the park and on the way there, he was quite nervous, but going back he slept the whole way.
- Lastly talk to your vet about any vaccinations you should get. Especially if you have an indoor cat.